A very big thank you to first aid for life for allowing us to pass on their excellent tips to all our host families and au pairs.
Here are some of the most common safety concerns when minding children. To read the complete article for each of these, just click on the heading:
- Bee and Wasp stings - this is particularly relevant at this time of year when children are spending more time outdoors and wasps and bees can be found busily looking for nectar.
- Burns and scalds - here is essential reading for everyone at any stage of life. Burns and scalds can occur so easily and unfortunately people of all ages get burns and scalds from hot items. If you do ever find yourself in this situation it will be very useful to know what to do.
- Choking - this is something everybody should know about. Very young children learn through their senses and this includes picking objects up and putting them in their mouths to taste! As a result young children are highly susceptible to choking so please do have a good read through this article. You never know when you might need it!
- Meningitis & Sepsis - I hope that none of our families or au pairs will ever need this information but if you do, there is some great advice here.
- Poisons -children are never too far from poisonous material whether it be household products or berries on a hedge. Please take a read through the following article. Even if you never need to deal with poison ingestion, it might just help you identify and prevent a child from ingesting an unexpected poison:)
- Swimming Safety Tips - here is a great article from jojomamanbebe.com Again this is so relevant at this time of year. And you thought that this company only produced gorgeous clothes;)
Other articles that may interest you:
First aid for life